Please contact the GW4-CAT administrative team with any queries about eligibility on GW4-CAT@bristol.ac.uk. We will consider each candidate on a case-by-case basis as we recognise that career/training paths differ greatly across disciplines and specialties.
The scheme is aimed at exceptionally motivated clinically qualified trainees who can demonstrate the capability and drive to undertake a period of research with a view to developing a long-term career as a clinical academic.
Academic excellence, evidence of prior and productive research experience and the desire to pursue a career in clinical academia are essential. Applicants may have intercalated during their degree or have obtained a second Bachelors degree but this is not essential.
Applicants are not expected to have a defined project proposal at the application stage. They should, however, be able to articulate the areas in which they would be interested in developing a project, and have an idea of which senior supervisors they might work with from the exceptional GW4-CAT pool of Wellcome Trust approved supervisors.
Applicants who have unsuccessfully applied to the programme on two occasions are no longer eligible to apply. If you are considering reapplying for your second and final time, please contact the GW4-CAT administrative team well in advance to discuss whether the timing of your application is optimal.
- To be eligible for entry into the programme you must have a qualification that allows you to practice clinically in the UK
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom by commencement of the PhD
- Trainees who are currently registered for a PhD will not be eligible to apply
- All applicants will have to provide evidence of previously undertaken research such as an Academic Clinical Fellowship (medical and dental graduates), an internship or residency (veterinary), or via an alternative route such as the Clinical Primer from Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter
- Applicants must be willing to travel between GW4-CAT sites and be a part of cohort activities and training
- Offers will be subject to a satisfactory completion of relevant Vetting/Barring Scheme, if required, eg. DBS check
Medical and Dental Graduates
- MBBS, MBBCh, BDS, BChD or equivalent medical or dental qualification
Dental/Medical registration and other criteria:
- Foundation trainees are not eligible to apply
- Applicants will be in a position to hold full or provisional registration with the GMC or GDC with the necessary licence to practise by the commencement of and throughout their PhD
- Be able to provide documented evidence from the relevant training body (e.g. GMC/GDC or equivalent) of achievement of appropriate competencies for stage of training by time of appointment in line with relevant national regulatory requirements, including satisfactory outcome at the Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP)
- Applicants will usually be either on a run-through training programme or hold an NTN, please enquire if you are ensure about your eligibility on these grounds
- Applicants who have already finished their training and received a CCT are not usually eligible
- Hold an active medical or dental indemnity policy that is valid in the jurisdiction where clinical training will occur
- Be eligible to be granted time out of programme for research (OOPR) if required
- Clinicians who undertake OOPR must continue to participate in the ARCP process of their home locality in HEE, NES, the Wales Deanery or NIMDTA and would be expected to return at the end of the period of OOPR unless they are immediately appointed to a Clinical Lecturer post after their PhD.
- Medical or dental trainees in their final year of training will not normally be granted OOPR. Please check with your Deanery before applying if you are unsure about your eligibility on these grounds.
- BVSc, MBBCh or equivalent veterinary qualification
Veterinary registration and other criteria:
- Candidates will normally be Members or Fellows of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) at the at the commencement of and throughout his/her PhD: MRCVS/FRCVS