28/10/21 Please note this information is currently under review
The Wellcome Trust-funded GW4 Clinical Academic Training Programme HP invites expressions of interest in joining the PhD Senior Supervisor pool to supervise PhD training for a Clinical Academic Training (CAT) HP fellow appointed to the scheme.
All supervisors should:
- Be currently working in one of the three GW4-CAT HP institutions (Bath, Bristol, Cardiff or Exeter)
- Be able to provide a vibrant, state-of-the-art and well-resourced training environment.
- Have a well-funded research group, with capacity to provide support for training fellows: this would include holding significant personal funding as Principle Investigator from the Wellcome Trust (WT), MRC or another prestigious funder (e.g. CRUK, BHF etc)
- Have a consistent track record of excellence in supervising PhD students (clinical and/or non-clinical) to successful completion that is commensurate with supervisor career stage.
- Have an excellent publication track record in 4*/3* journals and be REF2021 submissable.
- Be prepared to commit time to oversee progress of the CAT HP fellow as Senior Supervisor, and provide frequent and regular supervision with minimal encumbrance from other activities (supervisory or otherwise).
- Be aware and supportive of the additional requirements of the career pathway for health professionals and vets.
- Supervisors at an early career stage (e.g. Senior Research Fellows) will be considered as Senior Supervisors on a case by case basis.
If you are interested in being considered as a Senior Supervisor you should provide:
- a one page expression of interest
- a copy of your CV – 4 pages maximum, 12 point Ariel font to include:-
- your student supervision record
- current and most recent (last five years) funding
- publications (ten maximum)
Email this to GW4-CAT@bristol.ac.uk. Any expressions of interest will be reviewed against our eligibility criteria by the Management Board on a termly basis.
When a new Fellow is appointed, the GW4-CAT HP Directors and Management Board will use expressions of interest to point Fellows towards having discussions with potential supervisors who, in the sole opinion of the GW4-CAT HP Directors and Management Board, are undertaking research of relevance to that Fellow.
The final decision on who will be appointed as a Senior Supervisor will be the responsibility of the Fellow in dialogue with the GW4-CAT HP Directors and Management Board.
Prior to appointment, the GW4-CAT HP Directors will notify the Wellcome Trust, as part of the annual report, to inform them that an additional Senior Supervisor has been appointed. This will require submission of the Fellow’s project and supervisor’s CV.
The final decision on supervisor suitability will be with the Wellcome Trust.